There are two things that are highly incompatible in many people’s heads – oily skin and moisturizers, and it’s not hard to see why. Your skin is shiny, and not in a good way. It feels greasy and you constantly have to deal with acne as a result of blocked pores. How in the world does smearing an extra layer of cream help to stop that? How does the best men’s face moisturizer for oily skin even exist at all?
We totally get where you’re coming from. Oily skin can be a lot to manage but interestingly, that means applying a good amount of moisturizer to your face. That probably sounds like a massive mistake, but we’re right and you’ll soon see why.
Medicine tells us that our skin as men is about 20/25% percent thicker than our female counterparts. That’s why it seems like most men’s skins look naturally healthy, compared to the ladies’. However, we also have more hair follicles and produce more oil than they do, and that has its risks.
The result is that your skin is more acne-prone because of pores that get clogged easily. Also, your face literally takes on its own shine unprovoked and that’s not cool. Everyone wants matte skin with just the right amount of glow.
That said, we know you’re trying to do the best for your skin so we’ve prepared this guide to enlighten you on how to manage oily skin, especially with the use of moisturizers. Don’t freak out; it’s not as bad as you think. Keep reading and you’ll soon find out why.
- 1.7-ounce bottle of Clean…
- This oil-free facial moisturizer…
- Made with real fruit…
- Use this moisturizing gel…
- To use, apply the…
- Details below
- Lightweight facial moisturizer: This…
- Lotion for oily skin:…
- Hydra Genius: A unique…
- Replenish skin with a…
- Pair it with: Try…
- Details below
- 1.4-ounce bottle of Neutrogna…
- Formulated with retinol, the…
- Daily anti-aging face lotion…
- Men's daily moisturizer provides…
- Makes a great addition…
- Details below
- 4-fluid ounce bottle of…
- This facial moisturizer has…
- Face moisturizer is infused…
- Moisturizer is especially formulated…
- From the #1 Dermatologist…
- Details below
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM SPF…
- [ OIL FREE DAY…
- [ SUNSCREEN WITH NIACINAMIDE…
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ]…
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN…
- Details below
What Causes Oily Skin?
Every human has structures called sebaceous glands, embedded within the skin. These glands produce a kind of oil called sebum, which is important for healthy skin. Skin types are determined based on how much oil is produced in different people. Hence, the universally-recognized skin types are dry, oily and combination skin.
As you may have already guessed, oily skin is the skin type that produces the most sebum. We all need sebum for lubrication and a measure of hydration on our skin. It helps to keep your skin from flaking and drying out by preventing water from getting out and removes dead skin cells from the skin pores.
However, when sebaceous glands decide to go overboard on the job, producing more oil than necessary, oily skin is the result. Everyone knows that having too much of something is bad and that’s exactly the situation here. Excessive sebum production leads to clogged pores and many other distressing skin conditions like blackhead and pimple breakouts. Thus, skin like this requires adequate care and attention from time to time.
What exactly triggers excessive sebum production? There are quite many factors. The universally accepted scientific reasons for it include genetics and environmental conditions. We also know that men produce a bit more sebum than women.
Other known causes of excess sebum production in men include stress, poor diet, pollution, and inadequate skincare.
Oily Skin Test — How To Know If I Have Oily Skin
Oily skin announces itself as loudly as the new circus in town. It’s usually not very hard to identify, especially on the face. As you may already know, oily skin, by producing excess sebum, makes the face super-shiny or appear greasy.
When the weather is hot or humid, our faces tend to become more oily than usual. That’s because the sebum produced by your skin seems to melt. It becomes more liquefied and can effortlessly flow through your skin pores. Also, since we all sweat more when the weather is hot, the sweat emulsifies the sebum, causing it to spread with little or no effort on the skin. All these are pretty normal.
However, people with oily skin have more oil to deal with than people with other skin types. Their skin already produces more sebum than usual and it all comes pouring out with easily. Hence, they often have shiny, greasy skin that shows up more during the warm or humid months.
Another thing that can help you know if you have oily skin is a large skin pore size. According to WebMD, one side effect of having oily skin is enlarged pores around the T-zone. Your T-zone covers your nose, chin, and your forehead. These are also the parts that are usually most shiny in hot weather.
The pores here grow bigger because the excess secretion of oil makes them become clogged quickly. As they fill up, they naturally grow bigger. This is why skin experts recommend regular cleansing and exfoliation for people with this skin type.
Should You Moisturize Oily, Acne-Prone Skin
You most likely think that moisturizers and oily skin should be like two parallel lines – they should never meet. Well, your fears are not unfounded.
With a face that feels so greasy, the last thing you want is to add anything to it that won’t take away the greasy feel. A moisturizer seems like it will only worsen the situation so you stay away. Allow us to tell you that you’re doing yourself more harm than good.
Just as there is a clear difference between oil and water, adding moisture to your skin is different from adding oil to it. Every skin type needs moisture, including oily skin. Your skin may be drowning in its own excess oil and still be suffering from dehydration.
Sebum helps to retain moisture in skin cells but it does not produce this moisture itself. Also, since this isn’t its primary responsibility, it won’t do a very good job at that and that’s why you need the best facial moisturizer for oily skin. Such moisturizers will attract water from the atmosphere to your skin cells and protect it from drying out.
Let’s also add that as a man, your facial skin is thicker than the ladies’, making it harder for this water to penetrate. Oil can easily show up since it’s coming from within anyway, but moisture? Not so much. So you, see, if there’s anyone who needs a moisturizer, it’s you, man.
Dehydrated skin begins to produce lines that lead to wrinkling and may worsen the sebum overdrive that you’re trying so hard to control. How? When your skin is dehydrated, your oil glands are forced to do more than they normally would in the bid to control moisture.
How To Prevent Oily Face for Guys Naturally
Having a men’s skincare routine for oily skin is a step in the right direction for getting the control over your situation. The best skincare routine for oily skin involves three major things: cleansing, moisturizing, and applying sunscreen.
As someone with oily skin, cleansing is probably something that you’re already used to. You need to use a dermatologically approved facial cleanser for men’s oil skin twice a day – in the morning and at night before you go to bed.
The temptation to wash as often as possible can be really strong but don’t give in. It will cause your skin to dry out too quickly, and like we already said, dehydrated skin will lead to more oil production. Also, overwashing can disrupt your face’s pH balance, causing your skin to react aggressively in the bid to normalize it. You can also use a toner after cleansing to bring your face back to its neutral state. Remember, balance is the goal, not total elimination.
Next, exfoliate that pretty face. Exfoliation with a good facial scrub will remove the accumulated dead skin cells in your pores. You can do this once to three times every week for the best results.
We’ve said it before, but we’ll say it a thousand times more if necessary: resist the urge to skip moisturizing! Your face needs all the water that it can get to give you the balanced skin that you desire.
An extra tip for you would be to completely take out products containing alcohol from your aftershave routine. Alcohol is notorious for irritating and drying out the skin. You don’t need it anywhere near your skin.
What’s The Best Moisturizer for Oily Skin?
The uniqueness of men’s faces makes it vital for them to use only moisturizers that have been designed to suit their specific skin type. There are many things to look out for in what makes the best moisturizer for men’s faces just that, but there are some non-negotiables like being oil-free.
That the best men’s face cream for oily skin should be oil-free is only logical. Your face is already producing more-than-enough oil. What could you possibly need any more oil for? A mattifying moisturizer that can help tone down your face’s excess lustrousness without eliminating your natural glow is what you need.
Another thing to consider is the thickness of the moisturizer. If men have thick skin, a moisturizer that will do a good job in hydrating it should be able to penetrate without any hassle. Hence, the face cream should be lightweight and easy to absorb.
To help you decide, we’ve got some men’s facial moisturizers for oily skin that we would like to recommend. Your skin deserves only the best and these recs are just that – the best facial moisturizers for men’s oily skin.
Best Men’s Face Moisturizer For Acne-Prone Skin
Clean & Clear Hydrating Watermelon Gel Facial Moisturizer
View in Amazon
- 1.7-ounce bottle of Clean & Clear Hydrating Watermelon Gel Face Moisturizer to quench and refresh skin
- This oil-free facial moisturizer is lightweight, breathable, shine-free, and gentle enough for daily use
- Made with real fruit juice, the gentle gel cream also hydrates dry skin and leaves your face feeling refreshed with the delightful scent of watermelon
- Use this moisturizing gel as part of a regular daily skin care regimen along with the Clean & Clear Watermelon Juicy Scrub and Clean & Clear Watermelon Wipes
- To use, apply the gel cream evenly to face and neck following your regular cleansing routine
The Clean & Clear Hydrating Watermelon Gel Facial Moisturizer stands tall among other facial moisturizers for many good reasons. Infused with real fruit juice for all the goodness of nature, it has a light-weight, no-shine formula that leaves no residue behind.
It is very gentle on the skin, easy to absorb, and with high hydrating power. It also has a pleasant watermelon scent, will not irritate your skin but instead will leave it clean, matte, and refreshed.
L’Oreal Paris Skincare Hydra Genius
View in Amazon
- Lightweight facial moisturizer: This water based moisturizer delivers all the hydration of a face lotion, but in a water-like, quickly absorbing, gel face moisturizer. Leaves skin feeling hydrated, softer, more supple, excess shine is reduced
- Lotion for oily skin: Formulated with Hyaluronic Acid and Aloe Water, this moisturizer for face is lightweight and provides hydration that absorbs quickly and keeps skin hydrated for up to 72 hrs
- Hydra Genius: A unique line of daily liquid care moisturizers, formulated with aloe water and 3 types of Hyaluronic Acid for quick absorption and 72H moisture-lock power
- Replenish skin with a facial moisturizer: gift your skin a daily dose of hydration from L’Oreal Paris skin care, whether day creams, night creams, or moisturizers with SPF, they provide your skin essential moisture to keep skin healthy
- Pair it with: Try using after L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Derm Intensives Hyaluronic Acid facial serum, a fragrance-free, lightweight serum that plumps and hydrates your skin while visibly reducing wrinkles
To give your face the best moisturizer for its oily nature, use the L’Oreal Paris Skincare Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care Oil-Free Face Moisturizer. Formulated with hyaluronic acid and aloe water, it deeply hydrates and nourishes the skin for up to 72 hours.
Studies have shown that Aleo Vera contains up to 75 nutritional elements, including the skin’s favourites – Vitamins C and E. L’Oreal Paris has harnessed the goodness of the plant into a moisturizer for oily skin, particularly for you.
Because it is also water-based, it is super-light and readily absorbed by the skin. The results? Soft, supple skin with increased hydration and control of excess shine.
Neutrogena Men’s Face Creams for Oily Skin
Neutrogena has two unique products that can easily pass for the best face cream for men’s oily skin. They are the Neutrogena Age Fighter Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Moisturizer for Men and the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer.
The Neutrogena Age Fighter Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Moisturizer for Men
View in Amazon
- 1.4-ounce bottle of Neutrogna Men Age Fighting Anti-Wrinkle Face Moisturizer for Men with Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 15 to help reduce the look of lines and wrinkles while protecting and hydrating skin
- Formulated with retinol, the purest form of vitamin A, this anti-wrinkle men’s moisturizer is clinically proven to help reduce the look of lines and wrinkles for younger and smoother looking skin
- Daily anti-aging face lotion contains a boost of conditioning multi-vitamins and non-greasy moisturizers to help smooth and hydrate rough, dry skin for an at-home self-care experience
- Men’s daily moisturizer provides broad spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen protection to help prevent sunburn and damage caused by the sun
- Makes a great addition to your daily men’s skincare routine. Apply anti-wrinkle moisturizer 15 minutes before sun exposure to help diminish the look of wrinkles while protecting and hydrating the skin
The Neutrogena Age Fighter Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Moisturizer for Men contains several multivitamins and non-greasy moisturizers that work to reduce lines and wrinkles caused by skin dehydration. It contains retinol, the purest form of Vitamin A, which has been clinically proven to smooth out wrinkles and lines on the face.
Adding to its effectiveness in keeping oil skin moisturized and protected is the presence of broad-spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen that will shield the skin from harsh sun rays. With this one, you’re well on your way to having the best home skin care possible.
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer
View in Amazon
- 4-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer with a light pink grapefruit scent. It is formulated with 0.5% salicylic acid acne medication to clear breakouts
- This facial moisturizer has a lightweight texture that absorbs quickly to moisturize skin and prevents emerging breakouts without a greasy feel
- Face moisturizer is infused with pink grapefruit scent and includes naturally derived grapefruit extract and is suitable for daily use in a regular acne skincare routine
- Moisturizer is especially formulated for acne-prone skin and contains salicylic acid acne medication, proven acne-fighting ingredient to help treat acne. Its water-based formula is oil-free, non-greasy, and non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog pores
- From the #1 Dermatologist Recommended Acne Brand. For best use, clean skin thoroughly before applying a thin layer of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer one to three times daily to moisturize skin and treat breakouts in one step
If you decide to go for the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer, you’ll be killing two birds with one stone. It moisturizes the skin with its easy-to-absorb, lightweight formula and treats acne with the salicylic acid acne medicine in it.
Clogged pores and a greasy after-effect are not a concern here as it is water-based, oil-free, and has a thin texture. The 0.5% salicylic acid acne medication present in this facial moisturizer for oily skin helps it treat acne breakouts and prevent any new ones from popping up.
It is also infused with a pink grapefruit scent derived from natural grapefruit extract for a refreshing feel, without compromising the safety of our skin. We can tell you for free that making this a part of your daily skincare routine will leave your face thriving. Try it out and thank us later.
The Best Men’s Face Moisturizer for Oily Skin with SPF
View in Amazon
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 30 ] A micro-fine zinc oxide sunscreen for UVA/UVB protection. This CeraVe moisturizer with SPF is a hydrating facial lotion that spreads easily, is absorbed quickly, and leaves a non-greasy finish
- [ OIL FREE DAY CREAM ] Use this daily face sunscreen as the last step in a morning skincare routine. If layering with an eye cream, moisturizer or facial serum, apply Cerave AM facial lotion after other product applications have been fully absorbed
- [ SUNSCREEN WITH NIACINAMIDE ] Contains Hyaluronic Acid to retain skin’s moisture and Niacinamide to help calm skin. MVE Technology delivers hydration throughout the day
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Recommended for daily use by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Fragrance free, oil free, non-comedogenic, paraben-free. Suitable for dry skin, sensitive skin, oily skin, and acne-prone skin
The CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with Sunscreen is indisputably the best men’s face moisturizer for oily skin with SPF. Dermatologists recommend the use of moisturizers and sunscreen for oily skin to remain flawless and CeraVe has done us all a favour by giving us both in one product.
It contains three essential ceramides for the skin called the 1, 3, and 6-II ceramides that help to lock in moisture all day with MVE controlled release technology that works throughout. These ceramides also create a natural barrier on the skin to prevent water loss. Niacinamide and hyaluronic acid are also present in this gentle, oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer for effective face moisturization.
This CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion is formulated with broad-spectrum SPF 30 that keeps the skin from damaging UV rays from the sun. It is hydrating, highly absorbable, and never leaves a greasy finish on the skin.
Final Notes — How To Moisturizer Men’s Greasy Skin
Your face deserves a lot of care and attention as possible if you’re going to keep looking dapper. That’s why we have taken the time to help you deal with your oily skin troubles by recommending the best men’s facial moisturizer for oily skin.
At The Highest Fashion, our priority is helping men discover how to always look and feel good. Our fashion magazine and blog has helped us to achieve this and now, we have built a community of over a million men around the world in over five years of existence.
To join this community, please check out our Instagram page @thehighestfashioncom and let us know how the tips we’ve recommended here have helped you.